Ghouls or necrotic post-humans, are decrepit, rotting, zombie-like mutants. They are recipients of intense and prolonged radiation sickness which decays their skin, and in some case their ligaments. Paradoxically, they also have greatly extended overall lifespans and are, allegedly, immune to and even regenerate health by the hazards of background radiation and/or nuclear fallout.
Standard Racial Traits
- Ability Score Racial Traits: -2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
- Size: Ghouls are Medium creatures.
- Base Speed: Ghouls have a base speed of 30 feet.
- Languages: Ghouls begin play speaking English and may learn any language.
Defense Racial Traits
- Resistance to Massive Damage (Ex): Ghouls gain a +2 racial bonus on Fortitude saves to negate the effects of massive damage.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Breadth of Experience: Ghouls have past lives that grant them a bonus on two particular skills. Each ghouls picks two skills. Those skills are treated as class skills regardless of what class the ghoul actually takes. If either of those two skills is added to her list of class skills through some other means, then she gains a +2 racial bonus to said skill.
Weakness Racial Traits
- Chem Resistant: Chems do not affect ghouls as well as they do normal humans. Chems are only half as effective when used on ghouls and only last half their normal duration (if they have one).
- Mental Deterioration: The regenerative ability that affords ghouls their longevity does not extend into the higher reasoning functions of the brain itself. Ghouls age and receive normal penalties and bonuses from reaching Middle, Old, And Venerable age.
Once a ghoul reaches Maximum Age they start to turn feral. They take 1 point of Int drain and 1 point of Wis drain per week until both ability scores reach 2. This drain cannot reduce Int and Wis below 2. Once their Int and Wis reach 2 they loses all class levels but gain a number of Undead HD equal to their character level. With the exception of racial feats, a feral ghoul loses any feat that is normally unavailable to an animal companion of its HD.
- Radiation Weakness: A ghoul’s mental deterioration is hastened by exposure to radiation. Instead of the normal effects of radiation exposure, a ghoul must make Fort saves every day to avoid taking Int and Wis drain equal to the Str damage such exposure would inflict upon a normal human. A ghoul receives a +5 racial bonus on these saves.
This drain cannot reduce their Int and Wis below 2. If the radiation exposure reduces both their Int and Wis scores to 2, the drain becomes a permanent adjustment and they turn feral (see above).
Alternate Racial Traits
- Recently Ghoulified: You have only recently undergone ghoulification. You lose the normal ability score modifiers and instead can place a single +2 bonus into any ability score of your choice. You also lose the Breadth of Experience trait but gain a bonus feat of your choice at 1st level.
|Healing Surge||Combat||Con 13||A number of times per day equal to your constitution modifier you may call upon background radiation to heal yourself for a number of hit points equal to your total HD + your Con modifier.|
|Child of Atom||Combat||Con 15, Healing Surge||You gain Fast Healing 1 in areas of low radiation, Fast Healing 2 in areas of Medium Radiation, Fast Healing 3 in areas of High Radiation, and Fast Healing 4 in areas of Severe Radiation|
|Glowing One||General||Con 17, Child of Atom, Level 10.||Your natural attacks inflict radiation upon your enemies. This radiation is a poison effect: Type contact; save Fort; DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha; frequency instant; effect 1 Con damage. In addition, you shine light like a candle. This imparts a -2 penalty to your Stealth checks.|
|Atom’s Light||General||Con 19, Glowing One, Level 15.||You may cast Breath of Life by expending 5 Psychic Energy. If you didn’t already have a pool of Psychic Energy, you gain one appropriate for a human of your level. This ability only works on ghouls and humans with the radiation affinity mutation.|